Tuesday, January 21, 2014

006 what I'm eating

I haven't done a "what I'm eating" post in quite some time. I have been trying out some new recipes that have been tasty while also trying to be semi healthy so I thought I'd share what I've been consuming for my fellow foodies to enjoy.

SNACKS

1. A bit of a twist to the traditional Vietnamese style Do Chua. I made mine with white vinegar, fish sauce, and added some leeks, garlic and chilies. I have been obsessed with this; it is crunchy, sour, and can be added to many dishes. I eat it plain, add it in soups or sandwiches, and even rolled some up in a simple spicy tuna sushi roll.

2. Another obsession, mini crunchy peanut butter and banana sandwiches. I saw on a Pinterest post that someone added a couple dark chocolate chips in the middle, genius!

3. I made a batch of kimchi for my mother for Christmas and I saved a bit for myself as well. I followed this recipe. It isn't the best kimchi I have ever had (not sour enough for me) but still, it is better than store bought! Another versatile item to use: by itself, in soups, with eggs, in fried rice, etc.

GREEN

4. A twist on lettuce wraps. I normally use chicken but I felt like pork that day. Saute ground pork, carrot, and green onion. Season with salt and pepper, fish sauce, lime. After the heat has been turned off, add in fresh cilantro (I do this to preserve the zingy freshness of the herb. Cooking it wilts it and demeans that flavor). Pile on leafy romaine hearts and chomp away!

5. I am not a fan of shakes as meals and rarely do it. This one pictured had avocado, spinach, kiwi, almond milk, and banana. It was ok, mostly because of the avocado. I have yet to try a shake mix that I truly enjoy. I mostly make them to see if I will get an "Aha!" combo that will convert me.

6. Tomato & arugula were meant to be together forever. Super simple crostini that I just made up on a whim based on my cravings. Soak a medley of tomato types, red onion, and arugula in salt and balsamic vinegar for about 15-20 minutes. While it soaks cut some crusty bread, rub olive oil and a nub of garlic all over the surface and finish off with a sprinkle of mozzarella. Broil until brown and toasted. Add your vegetable mix on top and eat immediately to avoid soggy bread.

SEMI UNHEALTHY

7. I have been wanting to try out cauliflower replacement recipes and my first attempt was making pizza. I followed Tasty Kitchen's take on it. It is a tasty recipe but don't be fooled, real pizza is superior. I still recommend you try it though, especially if you are craving pizza, are gluten intolerant, or just want to trick someone into eating more vegetables (kids, eh?)

8. Beer! Ah how I love beer. Everyone has their calorie cheat preference, mine is beer. Empty calories but I prefer it over sweets any day. My boyfriend and I recently found a neat local place with a vast variety in stock. Recent tries have been Bell's Hopslam, Victory Golden Monkey, and Southern Tier Oat Imperial Oatmeal Stout.

9. This has become a breakfast staple. Adapted from The Londoner, but I made a few changes. I added spinach and white onion to bulk up on vegetables, ditched the chorizo for pepperoni instead since that was all I had on hand, and skipped the bread for dipping. Still ended up superb. Highly recommend you try it. Not only is it flavorful and filling, it looks quite beautiful.

I've also been obsessed with guacamole with Wasa crackers. Easy, healthy snack to whip up. And nothing can stop me from getting my fix of Greek yogurt combos. I either do my favorite of pineapple, slivered almonds with honey or a newly discovered mix of frozen berries, half of a smashed up Nature's Valley maple brown sugar granola bar, and honey. Funny, I used to hate Greek yogurt but now I prefer it over the regular stuff.

What has been on your plate lately? Any Greek yogurt combos that you love that I should try? Or shall we discuss beer favorites instead...

No comments:

Post a Comment